President Biden has laid out two critical plans to build our nation back better: the Bipartisan Infrastructure Deal and the Build Back Better Agenda. Together, they will make historic investments to grow our economy from the middle out, not the top down, and build our country back better for working and middle class families across the country.
The President has now signed the Bipartisan Infrastructure Deal — the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act — into law, delivering a historic win for the American people and showing that it’s possible to break through gridlock in Washington to get things done for everyday Americans. This legislation will make a historic investment in our nation’s infrastructure that will boost economic growth, create millions of good-paying jobs, bring supply chains back to the U.S. to lower costs for everyday Americans, and make our country more competitive so that America is positioned to win the race for the 21st century.
Right now, the Build Back Better Act is moving through Congress. This urgent legislation will lower costs of things families depend on, deliver a historic tax cut for working and middle class families, make urgently needed, once-in-a-generation investments in our nation’s future, and it’s fully paid for by making the ultra-wealthy pay their fair share.
THE BIPARTISAN INFRASTRUCTURE DEAL:
- Boosts economic growth and creates millions of good-paying jobs, brings supply chains back to the U.S., and makes our country more competitive so that we are positioned to win the race for the 21st century.
- Delivers the largest-ever federal investments in public transit and clean drinking water, in passenger rail since the creation of Amtrak, in bridges since the construction of the highway system, and creates universal internet access for American households.
- Creates good-paying union jobs by fixing roads and bridges, replacing dangerous lead pipes to ensure our kids have clean drinking water, modernizing our electric grid, and making the largest investment in electric vehicle infrastructure in American history.
- Levels the playing field and creates economic opportunity for working people and communities of color by addressing economic disparities and rectifying decades of disinvestment.
THE BUILD BACK BETTER ACT:
- Builds an economy that rewards working families on Main Street, not executives on Wall Street, by delivering tax cuts for millions of working and middle class families, lowering the cost of things families depend on, and creating millions of jobs.
- Creates more good-paying, union jobs rebuilding roads and bridges, modernizing our energy grid, and investing in clean energy and clean water.
- Cuts taxes for working and middle class families, with a historic tax cut for more than 90 percent of households with children.
- Lowers costs for working families by providing family and medical leave, lowering energy bills, and making essentials affordable like healthcare, prescription drugs, child care, preschool, and long-term care for the elderly.
- Takes on the climate crisis with the largest-ever investment in clean energy, resiliency, and environmental clean-up.
- Keeps families together by building a more just and humane immigration system.
- Makes our economy fairer by reforming our tax system so that the ultra-wealthy and big corporations finally pay what they owe, just like the rest of us do. No American making under $400,000 a year and no small businesses will see their taxes go up.
HOW WE PAY FOR IT:
- The Build Back Better Act is fully paid for. It will build an economy that rewards work, not wealth by lowering costs for working families and making the ultra-wealthy and corporations pay their fair share and closing tax loopholes.
- No one making under $400,000 a year will pay a penny more in taxes, and neither will small businesses.
- Expert economists agree that the President’s plans will ease inflation in the long-run while rebuilding our country from a once-in-a-generation pandemic and creating millions of good-paying jobs in the process.
The Build Back Better Agenda will create millions of new jobs, position American workers and businesses to compete in the 21st century, and create an economy that rewards work, not wealth. The Build Back Better Agenda:
- Creates millions of new, good-paying jobs rebuilding roads and bridges, modernizing our energy grid, caregiving, and investing in clean energy and clean water.
- Invests in R&D to boost American manufacturing.
- Treats care workers with dignity, and improves wages and benefits.
- Makes the ultra-wealthy pay their fair share in taxes, while ensuring no American making under $400,000 a year sees their taxes go up a dime.
- Builds on the Bipartisan Infrastructure Deal, which reflects the largest infrastructure investment in a century and puts Americans to work to fix what’s broken in America.
No one should have to choose between caring for their family and work. This plan will help ensure middle and working-class families have access to affordable, high-quality child care and long-term care for the elderly, and will guarantee four weeks of family and medical leave as workers get back on the job:
- Cuts taxes for 90 percent of households with children through the expanded Child Tax Credit.
- Makes health care more affordable by lowering the cost of prescription drugs and creating a tax credit to help working families pay for health care premiums.
- Guarantees 12 weeks of paid family and medical leave for our workers.
- Improves pay and working conditions for essential care workers.
- Expands home care for older Americans and people with disabilities.
- Cuts child care costs so no working or middle class family pays more than 7% of their income for quality care for young children.
- Helps make sure the nutritional needs of all families are met. The plan will expand nutrition assistance, school meal programs, and summer EBT, which will help families with children receiving free or reduced-price meals buy the food they need during the summer.
This critical legislation delivers the largest expansion of affordable health care in a decade.
- Reduces health care costs for millions of Americans by expanding access to affordable healthcare through the Affordable Care Act.
- Delivers health care coverage to 4 million Americans by closing the Medicaid coverage gap.
- Expands Medicare to cover hearing benefits for millions of seniors.
The Build Back Better Act makes universal preschool a reality and creates grants for low-income students and students of color:
- Establishes additional years of free, public education for the first time in a century with the addition of high-quality, universal preschool for all 3- and 4-year-olds, benefitting more than 6 million children.
- Expands access to affordable, high quality education and workforce development by increasing the maximum Pell Grant amount, making historic investments in HBCUs, TCUs, and MSIs, and investing in workforce development programs and apprenticeships.
The Build Back Better Act will save our economy and our climate by creating millions of good-paying jobs to build our clean energy future and deliver a fully clean electric grid by 2035:
- Creates good-paying union jobs by investing in wind and solar power, and electric vehicles made right here in America.
- Lowers energy bills for families with affordable abundant wind and solar power, and helps families make their homes more efficient.
- Enlists a new, diverse generation of Americans in a Civilian Climate Corps that will help conserve America’s great outdoors and advance environmental justice.
- Cleans up industrial pollution while growing domestic supply chains for wind, solar, and electric vehicles
- Invests in climate-smart agriculture and forestry to harness the power of rural communities to fight climate change.
- Advances environmental justice by delivering 40% of the benefits of investment to disadvantaged communities through a Clean Energy and Sustainability Accelerator.
The Build Back Better Act invests in a more just and humane immigration system that keeps families together:
- Allows people to support their families and more fully participate in the economy, provides life-saving health care to keep our families and communities safe, and permits people to travel abroad to see family they have been separated from — often for decades.
- Provides temporary protection from deportation and employment authorization to approximately 7 million immigrants who have lived in the U.S. for ten years or more, including 1.6 million Dreamers, 3.6 million essential workers, and 360,000 TPS recipients.
- Provides funding to reform and improve our immigration system by reducing backlogs and investments in enhanced visa processing at USCIS.
- Allows people who were selected to apply for diversity visas under the last Administration — but were refused because of specific executive orders or were unable to complete their visa because of COVID-19 related restrictions — to reapply.
Every American — no matter their race or zip code — has a fundamental right to vote and to have their vote counted. A democracy that works is essential for a government that works, but today, Americans’ fundamental freedom to vote is under attack. Since the 2020 election, hundreds of local attacks have been launched on our fundamental right to the ballot box.
We can safeguard the freedom to vote and the foundation of our democracy by adopting the Freedom to Vote Act, which establishes federal voting standards, and ensures that voters choose their elected representatives, not the other way around. We can make sure that discriminatory voting rules are never permitted to take effect by adopting the John Lewis Voting Rights Advancement Act.
- The Freedom to Vote Act will institute federal accessibility standards for voters, ensure that votes are properly counted, and prohibit partisan gerrymandering.
- The John Lewis Voting Rights Advancement Act will protect against discriminatory barriers to voting — on the basis of race, language, or zip code — by preventing those proposals from taking effect in the first place.